Facts about Bethany Lions Club
1. Bethany Lions club was established on March 6, 1952. We are the local affiliate of Lions Clubs International, which is the largest service organization in the world with more than 1.36 million members in 46,000 clubs in more than 206 countries and geographic regions. Lions Clubs International (LCI) was established in 1917 with the vision ‘to be the global leader in community and humanitarian service.’
2. Bethany Leos Club is the youth volunteer organization of the town sponsored by Bethany Lions Club. There are approximately 144,000 Leos in 5,700 clubs in more than 140 countries around the world. Leos program are meant to help personal growth and leadership opportunities of the youth.
3. Bethany Lions Club provides scholarships for graduating local students, emergency funds for Bethany residents. It organizes the Memorial Day Parade for the town, Tag Sales at the Airport, Bethany Lions Charity Auction, Horse Show, Car Show and Eye and/or hearing screening for the residents at Bethany Annual Health Fair as well as a semiannual Document shredding event. It participates in Bethany Family Day and Harvest Festival and provides gifts for the raffle draw. It helps in Blood Donation Program of Red Cross at town hall. For the young children of the town, it organizes Halloween Party at Bethany Community School.
4. Bethany Lions Club provides monetary support to local civic and charity organizations, e.g., Bethany Library, Voluntary Fire Department, Bethany Historical Society, VFW, and town youth activities, e.g., Boy Scouts, Little league. It has made contributions for the Bethany Veteran Memorial Park Pavilion and Lakeview Lodge.
5. Beyond the town, it regularly supports Lions District activities in Connecticut State, such as Connecticut Lions Eye Research Foundation (CLERF), Lions Eye Health & Screening Program (LEHP), Lions Low vision, Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation, Connecticut Radio Information Service (CRIS). It supports the Yale-New Haven Hospital Toy Closet by collecting toys from the town residents at its popular Christmas in July program.
6. Moreover, Bethany Lions Club continues to support the international charity activities sponsored by Lions Clubs International (LCI) through its charity foundation (LCIF). Bethany Lions Club contributed generously to LCIF’s major relief efforts including the South-East Asian Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina and more recently earthquake and tsunami in. It continues to contribute to LCI’s world-wide efforts on maintenance of eye health and preservation of sight related activities. Bethany Lions Club regularly collects eye-glasses for LCI to be recycled among the needy around the world and more recently, has decided to support the “Cell phone for Soldiers” program which has gained popularity in recent years by helping active duty soldiers, who are now serving our nation abroad, to communicate with their families and friends at home.
7. We meet 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at Lakeview Lodge, Bethany.
Facts about Bethany Lions Club